I knew this sandwich would be good, I had no idea it would be foodgasmic. I burned one side of the sandwich. It is so good, I ate it burned. Every single crumb. Didn’t even notice. This grilled cheese is the PERFECT combination of salty and sweet, creamy and crunchy, crispy and soft. I can’t tell you enough that you’ve got to make it. My onion jam is a necessary ingredient. If you haven’t made it yet, this sandwich is reason enough to.
Makes 4 sandwiches
8 slices of dense bread (I used Seeduction from Whole Foods)
1/2 cup onion jam
6 tbs spicy brown mustard
1-2 Pink Lady apples, thinly sliced
1/2 lb fontina cheese
slightly softened salted butter
- Spread the outside half of each slice of bread with butter and spread the inside with spicy brown mustard.
- Slice the fontina cheese into 1/8″ slices.
- Place 4 bread slices butter down in a large skillet. Top with a single layer of fontina (make sure all of the bread real estate is covered with cheese)
- Add 2 tbs of onion jam to each slice (don’t be shy).
- Layer sliced pink ladies over the jam, and follow with another layer of fontina before topping with the remaining 4 slices of bread, mustard side down.
- Heat skillet to medium high and cover.
- Once bottom bread is toasted (3-5 minutes), flip and toast other side.
- Enjoy every last crumb. Then send me a note telling me how this grilled cheese changed your life.