This recipe for watermelon, vodka and mint popsicles (“poptails”) also works as a granita (adult snowcones!!). Super easy, delicious and perfect for a hot July afternoon or balmy summer evening. As you can see, they’re also beautiful.
makes 36 popcicles
8 cups cubed watermelon
4 peeled limes
1 cup fresh mint
3/4 cup vodka
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
- Put sugar and water in a small pot. Heat over medium high heat to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until syrup consistency is reached. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Puree watermelon, lime and mint in a blender. Strain using a fine mesh sieve.
- Add 1/2 cup of cooled syrup and vodka to strained watermelon and lime. Whisk thoroughly.
- For popsicles: pour into popsicle molds, place in freezer for 18 hours or until set.
- For snowcones (granita): pour into a 9″x 11″ dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. Every 4 hours or so, use a fork to scrape the mixture. Or, if you’re like me and can’t remember to check on it every 4 hours, freeze for about 12-18 hours. Just before ready to serve, use a fork the roughly mash up any frozen chunks, making a granita texture.
- To make these kid friendly, use 1/2 cup water instead of vodka. They will freeze much quicker!
- Enjoy responsibly!