This jam is like me – sweet with a nice nutty complexity from the Amaretto. This makes an AMAZING filling for layered cakes or in cookie recipes that call for jam. This jam would rock a jam pastry. Adapted from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.
Makes 4 half pint jars
3 lbs fresh peaches
3 tbs water
Grated zest and juice of one lemon
3 cups sugar
1 tbs vanilla
1 tbs almond extract
2 tbs Amaretto
- Wash and dice peaches.
- In a large stainless steel pot, combine peaches, water, zest and lemon juice. Heat over medium high heat to reach a full boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until peaches are softened.
- Carefully blend ingredients until pureed. Return to pot, add sugar and bring back to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until mixture begins to thicken (about 30 minutes).
- When jam has begun to thicken, add vanilla, almond extract and Amaretto and continue simmering an stirring frequently until desired consistency is reached (about 30 minutes more).
- Meanwhile, sterilize jars and prepare lids.
- Fill jars with peach jam, leaving 1/2″ of headspace. Wipe rims, place lids and fingertip-tighten bands.
- Process in boiling water for 10 minutes, turn off heat and allow to remain in canning bath for an additional 5 minutes.
- Toast some bread and dig in!