This claim may have been made before. Whether they were from Texas or not, I cannot prove. I can guarantee this is the best Tex-Mex burger you’ll ever eat. It’s also really simple to put together. You probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen. ALL Texans should have these ingredients.
1 lb ground beef (I used an 85/15 grass fed, humanely raised, antibiotic and hormone free organic grind from Whole Foods, I paid dearly for it, but it was delicious)
4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped, fat removed
1 avocado, sliced
1 small sweet onion, diced
1 jalapeno, minced
4 oz smoked cheddar cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tbs chipotle peppers with liquid, minced
1 tbs drained green chiles, diced (canned is fine, unless you have all day to roast, peel and seed them yourself)
pickled red onions
4 bakery buns
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you’re ready to grill.
- Divide the ground beef evenly into 4 patties about 3/4 inch thick, barely molding them into a patty shape and creating an indentation in the center on both sides. Do not overwork the meat. The less handling, the better.
- Season generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
- If you’re using a grill pan, place over medium high heat and add the bacon. Cook just until bacon begins to brown, and then add the onion and jalapeno. Cook until soft. Remove from pan and set aside. Complete this step in a skillet if using a grill.
- Turn a grill or grill pan onto high heat. Wipe the surface of the grill with a towel drizzled with vegetable oil, the grill pan should already be coated with bacon drippings.
- Place the patties on the hot surface of grill/ grill pan making sure not to crowd them.
- This step is hard. Do not touch, tinker, check or otherwise interfere in any way with the patties for four full minutes. Whatever you do, don’t press them with a spatula or other device. This will make them dry and will not speed up the cooking process.
- Meanwhile, whisk the green chiles, chipotle and mayo.
- Flip the burgers and then STEP AWAY FROM THE GRILL. Again, do not check, feel, touch or smell the patties. Just let them do their job. Let these babies cook for another 2 minutes, top with cheese and cook for another 2 minutes for medium (that’s a total of 8 minutes).
- Meanwhile, toast the buns.
- Remove the burgers from the grill, place a piece of foil over them (don’t seal it, just place it on top.
- Slather bottom and top buns with the chipotle-chile mayo. Top bottom bun with the bacon and onion relish.
- Add one perfectly golden patty to the bottom bun, top with pickled red onion, avocado and lettuce.
- Warning—you’ll forget about all of the fabulous sides you made, like summery nectarine salad and maple ginger baked beans, so eat those first!