This is another installment in my ongoing series, fancy food that is both easy to make and delicious. I can’t say enough about this perfect combination of sweet tomato, salty olive oil, crispy baguette and tart balsamic. Part of the magic is the burrata, which is mozzarella that is stuffed with fresh cream. Duh! Even people who don’t like tomatoes will love this.
6 ripe Roma tomatoes or 1 pint of cherry tomatoes in off season
1/4 cup basil thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tbs good quality olive oil (what does that mean?)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
16 ounces burrata mozzarella
1/4 cup balsamic reduction (you can find this with the vinegars at most grocery stores)
1 large or 2 small (12 inch) baguettes
- If using Roma tomatoes, seed and dice tomatoes. If using cherry tomatoes, just dice.
- Use the flat side of a large knife to mash the minced garlic and salt into a paste.
- Toss tomatoes with olive oil, pepper, basil and garlic paste.
- Warm baguette in oven at 450 degrees for 4 minutes or until warm. Slice mozzarella while bread is in the oven.
- Slice baguette, top with burrata and pile high with the tomato mixture.
- Drizzle generously with balsamic reduction. Seriously, don’t be shy.
- Try not to shovel this into your mouth in front of company.