Clafouti is a French fruit custard. Sounds pretty high brow, but you can make it in a blender! Like a daquiri but WAY easier. Very easy, very little clean up and VERY delicious. It’s also beautiful. Make it and impress friends and family with your international flair.
1 lb fresh cherries
3/4 tsp finely grated and chopped lemon zest
3/4 cup all purpose flour
pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
2 tbs kirsch or amaretto or other liqueur
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10″ deep dish pie pan or 13″x 13″ baking dish.
- In a blender, blend eggs and sugar until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Add milk, cream, vanilla bean seeds, lemon zest and kirsch and mix just until combined.
- Add salt and flour and blend until combined, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Sprinkle cherries evenly in pie plate. Pour batter over cherries.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn heat down to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes on a cooling rack. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.